Link to one-page PDF resume
Alabama Media Group, Investigative Reporter
Birmingham, AL - Jan. 2015-Present
- Was first to write about a discriminatory state ventilator protocol, prompting similar reporting in other states and ultimately spurring federal legislation to address the issue.
- Published a series on misconduct by an Alabama sheriff that led to his electoral defeat, prompted federal, state and local investigations, and spurred state and local lawmakers to pass new laws.
- Wrote a story co-published by The Guardian that drove Alabama to clarify its felon disenfranchisement policies, thereby restoring the voting rights of thousands of felons who had been improperly denied the franchise solely because they owed court fees, fines or restitution.
- Exposed severe understaffing at Alabama's death row prison, prompting the state to boost staffing levels.
- Revealed that the University of Alabama funneled "dark money" to state political campaigns.
- Served on a small team that led the reporting that eventually drove Gov. Robert Bentley to resign in disgrace.
- Broke the story of beloved author Harper Lee's death.
- Collaborated with AL.com's video team to produce multimedia projects on topics including Alabama's transgender community, prisoners voting and an underground motorcycle club.
ProPublica Local Reporting Network, Reporter
Birmingham, AL - Jan. 2019-Present
- Partnered with ProPublica on a year-long investigation of Alabama sheriffs.
- Exposed that Alabama sheriffs destroyed government property, pocketed public funds, and wasted taxpayer money after losing 2018 reelection bids.
- Revealed that sheriffs across Alabama and the U.S. increasingly release inmates in medical crisis from county jails just before they are hospitalized in order to keep jail healthcare costs low.
- Reported from Africa, Asia, Europe and the U.S.
- Published numerous impactful investigations, including one on alleged Hatch Act violations at the Cincinnati IRS office that prompted the IRS to investigate.
- Served as the editor of the International Business Times' Traffic & Trends desk for nearly a year.
TimesLedger Newspapers, Staff Reporter
Queens, NY - Oct. 2009-Oct. 2011
- Published several investigations that spurred action by politicians and developers.
- Created niches covering immigrant communities, real estate, and federal terrorism trials.
The Gazette, Staff Reporter
Frederick, MD - March 2008-Sept. 2009
- Covered key beats including Frederick County government, crime and business.
Sigma Delta Chi Awards
Society for Professional Journalists - 2020 (Public service) & 2019 (Investigative)
National Headliner Awards
Press Club of Atlantic City - 2020 & 2019
Sidney Hillman Foundation - 2019
Roy Bain Distinguished Special Achievement in Journalism Award
Auburn University - 2019
Selden Ring Award for Investigative Reporting, Finalist
University of Southern California - 2019
Goldsmith Prize for Investigative Reporting, Finalist
Harvard University - 2019
Worth Bingham Award for Investigative Journalism, Finalist
Harvard University - 2019
Livingston Awards for Young Journalists, Finalist
University of Michigan - 2019
Tom Renner Award, Finalist
Investigative Reporters & Editors - 2019
Michael Kelly Award, Finalist
Atlantic Media - 2019
James Aronson Awards for Social Justice Journalism, Finalist
Hunter College - 2019
Green Eyeshade Awards,
Society of Professional Journalists - 2020, 2019, 2018, 2017 & 2016
Innovation of the Month,
Editor & Publisher - 2018
New York Better Newspaper Contest, Writer of the Year
New York Press Association - 2011
Eagle Scout Award
Boy Scouts of America - 2001
Justice Reporting Fellowship - John Jay College of Criminal Justice - 2018-2019 & 2020-2021
- Investigated prisoners sent to solitary confinement in Alabama, resulting in multiple stories including one on the link between solitary confinement and the state's prison suicide crisis.
- Received criminal justice journalism training and support from John Jay College.
Reporting the U.S. Workplace - Sidney Hillman Foundation & CUNY - 2020
- Learned about workforce issues and received labor reporting training.
Journalist Law School - Loyola Law School - 2019
- Learned about American law and its intersection with journalism over the course of this intensive four-day fellowship program.
Reynolds Journalism Institute Fellowship - University of Missouri - 2016-2017
- Created the Deputy Program, an open-source initiative aimed at fostering community engagement and providing newsrooms with techniques to train and engage citizens to pitch stories and provide information about their communities.
- Implemented the Deputy Program in the AL.com newsroom, which involved recruiting, training and deploying a team of news "deputies" across Alabama.
- The Deputy Program was Editor & Publisher's April 2018 Innovation of the Month and has been heralded by organizations including the American Press Institute and the Poynter Institute.
Fellowship on Immigrant Children and Education - Georgia State University - 2016
- Developed a multi-part reporting project that matched human stories with Alabama's unique migration trends following the state's passage in 2011 of S.B. 56, at the time the nation's harshest anti-immigration law.
U.S.-Nigeria Exchange Program - International Center for Journalists -
- Spent two weeks embedded with newspapers in Lagos and Abuja, Nigeria, writing for their daily editions and for Newsweek and International Business Times in the U.S.
- Covered topics including the many challenges LGBT Nigerians face, the country's space program, and how governmental failures impact residents of the Lagos slums.
- FOIA & public records
- Audience engagement
- Excel & Google Sheets
- Photoshop & Illustrator
- Music & audio production
- Web scraping
- HTML & CSS
- Data visualization
- Video editing
- Video game/app production
University of Maryland
B.A. from Philip Merrill College of Journalism, 2007.
Copyright ©2020 by Connor Sheets. All rights reserved.